How do I send text messages via Schoolcomms?
Would you like to send text messages to your parents to remind them when their first appointment is or to remind them to make a booking?
This article will take you through the steps to do this if you are set up to use text messaging from Schoolcomms.
Note: If you would like to send an email reminder to parents rather than a text message please see article How do I send email Reminders?
Setting Up Text Messaging
- From the Administrator Homepage select Reminders and click on Schoolcomms Settings.
- Select Schoolcomms from the drop down under Text Messaging Provider.
- Enter your Schoolcomms details under Schoolcomms Username, Schoolcomms Memorable Data and Schoolcomms Password.
- Click on Update Settings.
- You will be taken back to the Reminders screen and you will now be set up ready to send text message reminders.
Sending a message
- From the Send New Reminder section select Text Message via Schoolcomms from the drop down under Send by.
- Under Message Type select the type of message you would like to send.Selecting Students Without Appointments will send a message to the parents of all students without an appointment for the selected evening. Selecting Students with Appointments will send a message to all parents that have made an appointment reminding them the time of their first appointment time.
- To pick the evening(s) you would like the message sent for click the box next to the name of the evening under Select Evening(s). You can choose multiple evenings if you wish.
- Once you have selected the message type you would like sent a sample message will show under Message Preview.
- The number of students that the message will be sent for will show in I confirm sending messages for XX Students. (XX will display as the number of students)If this is correct click on the box next to this.
- Select Send Message.
- If you have selected to send your messages these will then show under Queued Reminders.The messages should only take a few minutes to send.
Press F5 on your keyboard to refresh the page until the messages no longer show as queued.
Checking that Messages have been sent
Once the messages no longer show as queued you can check if the messages have been sent or have failed for any reason.
- To check that your messages have been sent click on View Sent Messages at the top of the page.The Reminder History screen provides a list of all reminders that have been sent from your system. Each line contains the Date & Time that messages have been sent, the Type, any sent via Schoolcomms will show this as the type, the Number Sent and a Sample Message.
- If the messages you have tried to send do not appear under Sent Messages or the numbers do not tally up to what you would expect you can then check any failed messages.
To check this click on Go Back to Reminders.Click on View Failed Reminders.
Any failed reminders will then appear on screen with details on the Date & Time, Type, Number Attempted, Sample Message and the Error.Failed messages can happen for a number of reasons including the Schoolcomms credentials being incorrect. If this is the case you can update the credentials by clicking on Text Message Settings and updating the details.
Once updated you can then try sending the message again.