Adding a new parents' evening
Once your data is in the system and you're ready to set up your evening just follow the steps below!
Steps for setting up an Evening
- From the Administrator Homepage click on Manage Evenings & Events and then Add Evening.
- Under Date & Time input the date & times on which you would like to set the evening up. If your evening will be held on several dates/times, you can do this by clicking Add Another Date to enter the additional information. We recommend this as, if you set up completely separate events, parents would be able to book the same teacher on each of them.
You can set different teacher breaks, start and end times, etc for each of these sessions.
- In the Title field enter the name that you would like to give your evening. This is the title that will appear to parents when they access the system to make bookings. The Information section allows you to enter more information regarding your evening that will be shown to the parent when they make bookings. For example, this could include details of where the parents should report to on first arrival.
- Under Appointment Duration select the default length of appointments. This should be the length of the shortest appointment that will be available on the evening - you can set different appointment lengths for different teachers and/or subjects but they (and teacher breaks) are only available as a multiple of the default length you set here.
A ppointment Gap allows you to enforce a gap between each appointment a parent makes, if you wish. This is usually used where you have a large building or campus and need to allow time for parents to get to their next appointment. The actual time of the gap will be determined by the the length of time you set under Appointment Duration and the number of slots you select here.
- Booking Start is where you can set a date and time after which booking will be open to parents. If you leave this blank, the evening will be open immediately.
Booking Cut Off is where you can set a date and time after which booking will no longer open to parents. If you leave this blank, the evening will be open to book until the end time of the last date on which it occurs.
Note that administrators are not affected by either of these settings, they can make bookings at any time.
- Appointment Messages enables parents to leave a message for the teacher when they make a booking. These messages will be included on printed appointment sheets and CSV downloads of appointments.
Maximum Appointments per Parent/Student allows you to select the maximum appointments a parent can make for the evening. As you will usually be pre-selecting which teachers your parents can book, this can usually be left as No Limit.
Student's Teachers Only / Parents can only book pre-selected teachers allows you to restrict teachers available to parents to those you have chosen for them. This option is usually enabled by default when you have classes set up on the Manage Classes page of the system. If you have not imported classes when you put your data into the system, or if they have not synced from your School Management System, you should disable this. When it is disabled parents will be able to choose and add individual teachers themselves when making bookings.
- Filter Students allows you to select which parents can make bookings on your evening. The evening will only appear as bookable for the parents of the students in the selected groups.
- The Filter Classes/ Teachers section lets you select which classes/teachers parents can book for the evening. It is important that you select all the relevant classes and teachers under these sections as this determines what would be bookable for the evening.
Depending on the data that is set up on your system you could have the options to select your data from Classes, Registration Tutors, Year Heads, House Heads, Band. If you sync your data from SIMS you may also have an option under Custom Groups which is used to filter any User Defined Groups that you may have set up and synced from SIMS.
You will also need to ensure that the teacher has the relevant classes/subjects assigned to them under Department on the Manage Teachers page.
13. Click on Add Evening.
Now your evening has been set up here are a few more tasks which you may want to carry out before your parents start to make their bookings. All of these are reached via the Administrator Homepage:
- Manage Class Teachers allows you to select which teachers you would like to take bookings for any shared classes you may have, or to substitute a teacher for one who is indisposed.
- Teacher Breaks allows you to make any of your teachers unavailable for defined parts of the evening, or for the whole evening.
- Appointment Length allows you to set different appointment lengths for individual teachers compared to the default that you set up for the evening.
Teacher Start & End Times allows you to set different start or end times for individual teachers compared to the default that you set up for the evening.
Template Letters contains a sample letter/email and a sample Parent Guide for you to adapt and send to the parents, advising them of the evening.