SIMS: How to set up SIMS integration
Do you use SIMS as your School Management System? In this article, we will take you through the steps to sync your data from SIMS into your Parents Evening System. This will cover you setting the data up on your system for the first time or if you want to refresh the data that is held on the system.
Note: If you use a hosted version of SIMS, please contact us to discuss the best way of importing the data.
Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool
Your data is transferred from SIMS using the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool. This is a separate tool that should be installed on a computer running SIMS. The tool connects to SIMS to sync students, teachers, contacts and classes.
If you set the data up on your system previously you will probably still have the tool installed on your computer that you can access and run. Look for an icon on your desktop called Parents Evening System or go to to Start > All Programs > Parents Evening Extract Tool . If you are setting your system up for the first or do not already have the tool installed this can be downloaded from the Parents Evening System.
Download the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool (New system set up)
Note: This section should only be followed if your Parents Evening System is being used for the very first time. If data is already set up on your system and you just need to install the tool skip to the next section Download the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool (Existing system). If you already have the tool installed, skip down to Running the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool.
- Enter the web address for your system into your browser. You will be taken to the Getting Started page.Select the Timezone and Date Format you would like your system set up for.Click Next.
- From the drop-down under School Management System select Capita SIMS.
- Under the section headed Data Transfer from Capita SIMS click on the link SIMS Extract Tool Quick Start Guide and follow all the steps contained in the guide.The Data Transfer section will also contain your System Name and API Key that you will need when setting up the tool.
Download the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool (Existing system)
Note: This section should only be followed if you are using an existing Parents Evening System and you need to install the Parents Evening SIMS Extract Tool. If you already have the tool installed skip down to Running the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool.
- From the Administrator Homepage select SIMS Extract Tool and click on the link SIMS Extract Tool Quick Start Guide.
- Follow the steps contained in the guide to install the tool.
Running the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool
Once you have the tool installed on your computer, you should run the tool any time you want to update your data on the Parents Evening System with the latest data from SIMS. We would recommend you should always run the SIMS Extract Tool before setting up a new evening to ensure all your data is up to date.
The tool can also be run again any time while you have an evening up an running. If doing this please be aware that if a teacher or student is removed from the new sync that already has bookings for your evening these would be deleted from the system. You would receive a warning of this before you transferred you data so you can choose not to proceed should you choose.
To transfer your data please follow the steps below.
- Access the Parents Evening System SIMS Extract Tool installed on your PC. The first screen you will come to is Step 1: Get Data from SIMS. The fields under Parents Evening System Settings and SIMS Settings should already be populated with your details. Update the Effective Date if you would like the data pulled from SIMS from another date.
Select from the drop-down next to Names if you would like Preferred Names or Legal Names to be synced from SIMS. Click Continue.
- On the Step 2: Select Year Groups screen make sure all relevant Year Groups are ticked. We highly recommend you always transfer all year groups and you can then choose in the set up of your evening what year groups are applicable.
This ensures that all your data is is available on the system and you can set up multiple evenings as required without there being any implications on bookings already made. If you would like students that are set up in SIMS as Accepted Pre-admissions included tick the box next to Include Accepted Pre-admissions. Click Next.
- You will now be taken to Step 3: Select Contacts. The options you choose on this screen will determine what parents are able to login to the Parents Evening System to make bookings for their child. Make sure that there is a tick next to Import Parent Contact Details into the Parents Evening System to include the details in the transfer. Under Contact Priority tick the priority of the parents that you would like added to the system from SIMS. We recommend priority 1 and 2. Tick the box next to Only Include Contacts With Parental Responsibility if you only want to include the parents from SIMS that are set up with parental responsibility. Click Next to continue.
- The next screen Step 4: Select Teachers will allow you to select the teachers you would like included in the sync from SIMS. Ensure that all relevant teachers have as tick next to them. We recommend that all teachers for your school are included in the sync and relevant options for your evening can be specified when you set up this up.If you would like to include the room information for the teachers from SIMS make sure that Overwrite Room With Those From SIMS is ticked. If the teachers primary email address from SIMS should be included in the sync ensure that there is a tick next to Overwrite Emails With Those From SIMS. Click Next to continue.
- The options you select on the next screen Step 5: Select Subjects will determine all the subjects or classes or user defined groups that are set up on the system.Ensure that all relevant options are ticked under Subject or Class.If you have any User Defined Groups set up in SIMS ensure these are ticked in User Defined Groups section. We recommend that you include all your subjects or classes in the sync and you can then select in the set up of your evening which are included. This will allow you to set up multiple evenings with different criteria.
This screen does also contain a field containing Total Teachers for Students for each subject or class. The total on this screen multiplies the number of students by the number of teachers for the subject or class.
- The final screen Step 6: Summary of Data Transfer provides a summary of the data that is being transferred from SIMS into the Parents Evening System including the current totals of students, contacts, teachers and classes on the system and the details of the number of records being added or deleted. If there are any records being deleted for teachers or students that have already booked an appointment for your evening these appointments would be deleted. You would receive a warning advising you that appointments will be removed if you transfer data.If you click View X Appointments To Be Deleted you will then be able to view the appointments that will be deleted. If you do not want to continue with the transfer at this point you can either click the Back button to go back through a check the options you have already selected or you can close down the tool by clicking the cross at the top right hand corner of the screen. If you are happy to continue and transfer the information click on Transfer Data.
- All your data from SIMS should now be included on your Parents Evening System. If you now log into your Parents Evening System you can check the data that is included.
Student data can be found from the Administrator Homepage by selecting Manage Students.Teacher data can be found from the Administrator Homepage by selecting Manage Teachers.Parents data can be found from the Administrator Homepage by selecting Manage Parents.You class information can be found from the Administrator Homepage by selecting View Classes.