SIMS: Teacher or Class not appearing on the system
If a teacher is missing after running the SIMS Extract Tool, or their class is not appearing, follow this article to check the teacher is set up correctly in SIMS. Once this is done, go to the Syncing with SIMS section of the guide and run your sync to bring the teacher and/or class into the system.
Note: This article assumes the teacher is not shown on the Data > Teachers page.
If the teacher is showing, with the correct Department information, follow the How to check a teacher is bookable for an evening article instead.
Check data in SIMS
Teachers are synced from SIMS if they are linked to a student and have a title (e.g. Mr, Mrs, Dr). Teachers can be linked to students via the pastoral structure, a class or a user defined group. Once the teacher appears correctly in SIMS, skip to the last section of this article: Syncing with SIMS.
Checking the pastoral structure (Primary Schools)
- Go to Focus > School > Pastoral Structure > Current Pastoral Structure
- Check the teacher is listed as the Registration Tutor or in the Supervisors folder for the relevant class. If they're missing or incorrect, fix this in SIMS and remember to click Save at the top left.
- Also check the teacher has a title (e.g. Mr, Mrs, Dr) and if not browse in SIMS to Focus > Person > Staff and add a title. If you made changes in this step, skip to Syncing with SIMS.
Checking the staff timetable (Secondary Schools)
- Go to Reports > Timetables > Staff Timetable(s)
- Check the teacher is listed under the Available Staff heading. If they aren't listed, the teacher is not linked to students via a class. You can instead link the teacher to students by creating a User Defined Group (see below).
- If the teacher is listed, also check the teacher has a title (e.g. Mr, Mrs, Dr) and if not browse in SIMS to Focus > Person > Staff and add a title. If you made changes in this step, skip to Syncing with SIMS.
Syncing with SIMS
Once the teacher has been corrected in SIMS, run the SIMS Extract Tool to sync them to the system. Make sure the teacher is ticked on the Select Teachers step and the subject/class is ticked on the Select Subjects step.
Follow the SIMS Extract Tool to the end and click Transfer Data to sync the teacher and/or class to the system.
To check the teacher now appears on the system, browse to the Data > Teachers. The teacher can now be included in a parents' evening and be booked by parents, depending on how the evening has been set up.