Manually Importing Data
Who should use this guide?
This guide will help you with manually importing data into SchoolCloud Parents Evening. This may be necessary if:
- you don't have a school management system that we currently support, or
- you are using a hosted SIMS installation which your provider does not support, or
- we have advised you to use the manual import method.
If you use a hosted SIMS installation and the hosted provider does not support our SIMS Extract Tool, please instead follow the SIMS: Manually Importing Data guide which is similar to this guide but includes details on how to extract data from SIMS.
NOTE: If none of those apply, manual importation can result in duplicated records - if you intend to go ahead anyway and have questions please contact us via email@example.com
How to import your data
In the navigation bar on the left of your system, click Data:
This will load the Data Dashboard. Go to the section called Imports:
If you do not see this section you will need to turn on manual imports via Settings > Data Import Source > Allow Data to be Manually Imported.
When you click on the type of data you wish to import you will be asked to upload a spreadsheet (in .csv format) and will see a list of the columns it must contain. Make sure the spreadsheet has a header row with these headings in it.
NOTE: if there are new or updated Students and Teachers records then those imports must always be completed before any other imports. The Teacher and Student details must match exactly to existing Teacher and Student details on the system.
- Import Students:
Always required columns:
- Teacher First Name - this must match up to a teacher you have already imported into your system
- Teacher Last Name - this must match up to a teacher you have already imported into your system
- Subject - the subject name of the class: 'Homeroom', 'Math', 'Art', etc
- Class Code - any subdivision of that subject. If you do not divide the subject into classes you can replicate what is in the Subject column.
In addition ANY ONE of the following options, but the data used must match to a student you have already imported into your system:
- Student MIS ID - this is a unique number per student, if your management system does not supply one, you can add a unique number when importing your students, then re-use it here.
- Student First Name
- Student Last Name
- Student Date of Birth
- Student First Name
- Student Last Name
- Registration Class
- Class ID - any subdivision of a class. If you do not divide classes you can either leave this column blank, or replicate what is in the Class Code column.
Once you upload the file the system will attempt to match the expected column to a column in the csv file you are uploading, please check that this is correct before clicking Next. If you title the columns in your import files to the expected column names, the mapping should line itself up by default.
As an example, here is Map Columns for the Students import:
Click Next and you will be presented with a summary of the changes (if any) being made along with any errors which may be present in the data being sent.
NOTE: A common cause of issues faced at this stage is students with accented or non-English characters. In order to support these during the import, you must change the file to be imported using the UTF-8 characterset, In Excel, you can do this by opening the file and saving it as "CSV UTF-8 (Comma Delimited)". Other applications may have different steps so please check the relevant documentation for the application you're using.
If you are adding or editing just a few teachers, students or parents then do not select Replace data on system with imported data as this will replace all your existing teachers, students or parents with the contents of the file.
Note that the Classes import will always replace all the existing class data in the system.
Note that the classes import always replaces all existing class data with the contents of the file, so you will not see the Replace data on system with imported data option when importing classes.
Start the upload by clicking the ' I'm happy to proceed' button and click Next. The data is then uploaded and confirmed.
Click Done to be return to the Data Dashboard.
Repeat the process for any other data types you wish to import.